
Review: I grew up on the western slope of Colorado. The sedimentary rock formations were fantastic as they had been eroded and shaped by millions of years of erosion. My small town of Palisade was situated at the base of the Rocky Mountains and my every day view fancied a large Shield volcano called Grand Mesa. Recently, Super Bowl Sunday, I traveled to Nunivak Island in the Bearing Sea to go musk ox hunting. The Island was born from a volcanic nature and has been transformed,flattened, by wind, water and the coast line cut by the grinding sea ice of the Bearing sea.
Explain: Many factors contribute to the formation of landscapes. The TD resource "Tectonic Plate movement in Alaska" the entire Pacific coast of Alaska has been transformed, creating large mountains such as the Wrangell's as the the Pacific plate subducts under the Yakutat block. This same subduction of the pacific plate has also produced many mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes along the the Pacific coast and which are illustrated in the TD resource "Tectonic Plates,Earthquakes and Volcanoes" These geographic features have defined the the cultures that call these places home. The high productivity of coastlines coupled with the fertile glaciated streams that feed these coast lines have sustained the needs of several cultures for generations. From the Haida, Tlingit and Tsimshian to the south to the Dena ina to the north and Aleut to the west, many cultures have not onlly survived but flourished in this abundance of food and resources and is why these cultures have survived here since time immemorial.
Extend: I am having trouble including images to my posts. Although I can take a picture of Google Earth , I can not seem to attach it to this document. I tried looking on YouTube for some tutorials but the problem seems to be with this Bloggeer site. I see that others have done it but I have not been able to figure it out. (Edit: I went back into Google earth and with a little help from a colleague was able to upload my Google Earth screen shots. I was having trouble saving the screen shots as a jpeg. Once I figured this out it was easy.
Evaluate: This module has been good as I needed the extra time to practice with Google Earth. I recently obtained a Smartboard in my classroom and I believe that Google Earth will become integral part of my interactive lessons. The Td resources on plate tectonics were useful and I had already used one last fall with my students. I particularly enjoy all video clips that pertain to Alaska and I plan on incorporating them in to my lessons.
Explain: Many factors contribute to the formation of landscapes. The TD resource "Tectonic Plate movement in Alaska" the entire Pacific coast of Alaska has been transformed, creating large mountains such as the Wrangell's as the the Pacific plate subducts under the Yakutat block. This same subduction of the pacific plate has also produced many mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes along the the Pacific coast and which are illustrated in the TD resource "Tectonic Plates,Earthquakes and Volcanoes" These geographic features have defined the the cultures that call these places home. The high productivity of coastlines coupled with the fertile glaciated streams that feed these coast lines have sustained the needs of several cultures for generations. From the Haida, Tlingit and Tsimshian to the south to the Dena ina to the north and Aleut to the west, many cultures have not onlly survived but flourished in this abundance of food and resources and is why these cultures have survived here since time immemorial.
Extend: I am having trouble including images to my posts. Although I can take a picture of Google Earth , I can not seem to attach it to this document. I tried looking on YouTube for some tutorials but the problem seems to be with this Bloggeer site. I see that others have done it but I have not been able to figure it out. (Edit: I went back into Google earth and with a little help from a colleague was able to upload my Google Earth screen shots. I was having trouble saving the screen shots as a jpeg. Once I figured this out it was easy.
Evaluate: This module has been good as I needed the extra time to practice with Google Earth. I recently obtained a Smartboard in my classroom and I believe that Google Earth will become integral part of my interactive lessons. The Td resources on plate tectonics were useful and I had already used one last fall with my students. I particularly enjoy all video clips that pertain to Alaska and I plan on incorporating them in to my lessons.
Great stories and reflections on using these resources in your classroom. Compelling images, too.
ReplyDelete