Nunivak Island

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Module 6









Essential Question: How are the Earth, atmosphere and cultures all connected?






Explain: With out the atmosphere, the earth would not exist as we know it. It is as responsible for our existence here as any other piece of the the puzzle that makes up our biosphere. Because of the prescribed nature of our atmosphere we are able to study and predict its behavior. In the TD Resource Alaska Native Pilots, Alaska natives talk about the way weather dictates life in western Alaska and how nature gives us many signs of changing weather patterns. The practice of observing the atmospheres signs has ben handed down from generation to generation for thousands of years and only until recently has ben augmented through the technology of western scientists. Technology has given rise to a deeper understanding of our atmosphere in ways that ancient civilizations , mariners, and explorers could have only dreamed about. Now at the click of a button , even villagers in the most remote villages of Alaska can access the latest, up to the minute, satellite photos of weather across their region, complements of NOAA.





According to an article by the Alaska Sea Grant on salmon decline, the history of salmon runs for the last several thousands of years has been linked to climate changes. Salmon abundance that occurred around 1200 AD are suspected to be the result of glacial advance as opposed to recent declines that we are experiencing in this time of glacial recession. However you slice it, small changes in our climate have dramatic effects on world wide subsistence cultures as well as global economics.

















Extend:






NASA National Space Science Data Center Image Resources
I have accessed NASA before for images. However this link provided me with additional links that I was not aware of. I spent a lot of time on this site and will be spending more time on it the next time I teach an earth science class.




The TD resources such as the one above are providing wonderful, animated graphics that greatly enhance my classroom notes and discussions.



Evaluate: Although much of the material in this module was review for me, A few of the resources were packed full of information. I am sure that I will find something new that I can use in class each time i visit the NASA web site.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you reference the resources that are useful and informative. I'm glad you like NASA. They do have a lot to offer!

    ReplyDelete